Friday, June 3, 2011

Regrouping--slowly; returning to work



When I enthusiastically registered for this workshop six months ago, I had no idea I would be attending it in my current state of emotional, mental and physical exhaustion, following four months of dealing with my mother's illness and death. I got home only five days ago, after another 14 days of working daily on the aftermath, sleeping in my sister's basement. Haven't picked up a paintbrush in weeks.

Nevertheless, on Monday, off I go, up the same 300 miles of highway I have driven seven times since February. The one-day exclusive workshop with Michael Dudash begins Tuesday morning at 8:30; the rest of the conference runs Wednesday through Saturday. At this point I'm not sure what I can hope to accomplish--perhaps nothing more hanging with other artists, watching Michael, Mick and Chris paint, looking at the mountains, and trying to figure out where I'm going from here.

I turned down the children's book I was supposed to begin illustrating two weeks ago--the combination of unfavorable contract terms, time constraints, and wanting to paint finally were too much to accept. My entire focus for the coming year is reorganizing home and studio (finding space for the boatload of "stuff" I've inherited) and getting back to painting. Doing some new work for the open studio in November, once a blip on the radar of a typical year, is now my only goal. Maybe one other show somewhere in the area, depending on how it goes.

I may have something new to show here when I return in a couple of weeks...or not. I'm thinking this blog needs revamping, as well.

No comments: